Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Silence is Golden

Or just an indication of not much news. So, what's new in DC on 14th Place?? I redid the kitchen [see photos] with new appliances, new floor [stone], new counters [laminant]new back splash [limestone] and new sink/fixture and my favorite thing, a garbage disposal...never have owned one myself. I pestered Meagan re: colors and materials and didn't pick the cheezy vinyl tile or the spiffy stainless steel tiles for the back splash...although I really wanted them. Tough to clean. Still need to pick out a paint color...home ownership is all about the next project.

This is all in preparation for the potential sale of my house in April/May/June [aparently the best time to sell a house].

On the athletic side, I'm running more, still training for a marathon [Big Sur in April] and trying to get a decent running base; still swimming 2x per week but haven't been on my bike for awhile. Shame shame, I know. Its not been all that cold but without external motivation, its hard to pry my butt out of bed when its dark out there...and I have to put more and more layers on. My race schedule includes [April 29] Big Sur, [May 20] Columbia, [June 10] Eagleman, [July 15] Muddy Buddy, [August 26] Northeast Triathlon [club championships].

This is my final month as Prez of the DC Tri Club and it will feel very good to relinquish the gavel [although I never did get a gavel so it will be hard to give it up...].

Oh, and I bought a laptop and after much research and testing out, I got a MacBook and so far so good. Still learning my way around it and how to download and install applications like Adobe Acrobat and such. But its certainly fun and totally addictive.

8 Comments:

At Fri Jan 26, 10:10:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Meghan said...

Congrats on the new kitchen- it looks great, you two! And on a related note, I wanted to ask you about your bamboo flooring- did you do it yourself or have it installed? So many projects, so little time!

I'm impressed by your filled-out racing calendar for the season already. And do tell more about the muddy buddy race in July because it sounds like fun! Nate and I were iming the other day about the St. Louis marathon in April. So now I'm considering that as part of a relay or an outright half marathon. Maybe I can even convince Molly to come down from Chicago for the occasion... Otherwise, my racing calendar still has big holes.

I can resonate with your lack of cycling as of late. I got all geared up to ride last Sunday only to find that my rear tire was flat. Since I wanted to avoid a repeat performance of the freezing fingers/swearing tire change routine I described in my last post, I opted to stay home. Now, 5 days later, my sad bike is still in need of some tlc and I'm hoping to get it all together Saturday afternoon.

My next adventure is our Caribbean Cruise (we leave 3 weeks from today- woo hoo!) so I'm practicing my "ahoy, matey," putting together formal attire and generally looking forward to a week away from school with Alden.

 
At Fri Jan 26, 07:03:00 PM GMT-5, Blogger no-e-plz said...

Caribbean Va Ca ... you'll need pirate gear and some pirate jokes...

The muddy buddy is all over the country and is a partner race, obstacle course whereby at the end you crawl through the mud. You mt. bike, trail run, etc. and then generally have a load of fun.

Our team name is Ridin' Dirty [Chamelionaire -- rap artist -- song]

 
At Sun Jan 28, 11:04:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Nate Reilly said...

The kitchen looks good. I was pretty happy when we bought our house that the kitchen was done cuz I know that it gets pricey.

That race schedule makes you sound like a professional. marathons, half irons, adventure races. Not sure what else you could add.

My race plans include the relay in the st louis marathon in april and the tour de donut in july. Really want to add a tri or a du in there but have not chosen yet. We probably need to set a date for this wedding thing before I make too many more plans. In case you were curious, it is definitely in the last two weeks of june or the first two weeks of july in NYC. gonna be a simple and fun wedding.

 
At Sun Jan 28, 11:07:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Nate Reilly said...

two other thoughts.

are we all on macs now??

meghan, we are only 5 hours from chicago (how midwest of me to think 5 hours is nothing) and we go there every 8-10 weeks or so to see jan's parents so if you do make any trips to see molly, let us know...

 
At Sun Jan 28, 11:07:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Nate Reilly said...

carribean cruise??? who are you??

 
At Mon Jan 29, 10:26:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger no-e-plz said...

oh...and the bamboo flooring was purchased from Lumber Liquidators and installed by the contractor who did the whole downstairs renovation a few years ago. I've found my best home improvement talent is writing the check.

 
At Tue Jan 30, 10:05:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Meghan said...

Word to the wise, Nate... if blogger tries to get you to switch over to using the new account, don't do it! Now I'm allowed to post, but not to comment. Fun times. Fun times. I've got a work-around, but wish I hadn't made the switch... Enough of this tehcnological mumbo jumbo!

So the Carribean cruise is a "perk" offered by Alden's company. Each year they take their employees on a trip (Hawaii last year and a cruise this year). It is an awesome benefit and typical of the way they treat their employees- awesome! Makes you want to think about exploring a career in video games, doesn't it?! So we're off to the western carribean (two ports in Mexico, Honduras and Belize) in a couple of weeks... We're actively trying to avoid the "moo factor" and looking forward to enjoying our time together in the great weather. So far my favorite part of this cruise-dealy is that we get free room service 24 hours a day. Mmm.

In terms of racing, are you still in need of relay team members, Nate? I've been looking at plane fares and they are a bit expensive, but I will keep checking them. And I was indeed considering your proximity to Molly. She moves into her new crib this week so I will definitely plan a trip out there to see her once she's settled in.

Off for a chilly run. It's been below freezing here lately- brrr!

 
At Tue Jan 30, 09:06:00 PM GMT-5, Blogger Nate Reilly said...

Don't complain about weather. Hasn't been above 20 degrees in a few days.

thanks for the login tip.

definitely could use a relay member or we would host you as you ran the half marathon. have you checked southwest for flights?? usually the best option for st louis...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home