Saturday, August 13, 2005

Eagleman.... or the real reason we stuck together

So...... as I have not yet added anything major to this blog craziness, I started to think why we have gotten to the point we needed a blog. one word: Eagleman. Ok so not all of us did it, BUT we really did.

Not sure when it all really began but sometime last fall, we were all talking (drinking maybe) and I think I was the one who threw out the challenge that we could do a half ironman. Chris and Meghan thought about it, Cory thought it was crazy and Meagan started her long stage of disappearing... There was a long pause and then on a ride one morning, the gauntlet was thrown out again. This time, Meghan, Chris and I said we were in. Cory was making plans for knee surgery so she said she would be our support crew.

There was more talk for the next few months..... Chris went off to play his horn on the west coast.....Meghan and I coined the term 35 and dry......Cory got the knee fixed.....Meagan helped push us on some rides, even dragging her husband along a few times........but things were not definite yet. Then came December. Registration was about to open for Eagleman. Would we really register?? Would just two of us register and the other not??? The day registration opened, all three of us charged $175.00 and then checked to make sure the others did the same. Things had gotten a little more serious.

So why was this the thing that kept us together?? Well, as the following race reports will show, there was no way we could have trained for this thing alone. There was no way I was getting up at 5 AM on a sunday morning when it was 40 degrees out and saying "sure I think riding 60 miles is a great idea!!" We made sure that we pushed each other. At the same time, when you are out in the cold for 4 hours together, you start to tell stories and discuss issues and open up and fix flats and talk of bacon and push each other and hear each others deep darkest secrets........

I won't go on anymore. Hopefully we can all somehow post of Eagleman race reports here. Cory and Meagan did not "finish" the race, but you will see from the race reports, that none of us would have "finished" the race without them.

I guess what I am saying is.......see you all at the finish line of Eagleman 2006. Hopefully someone will say to me "are you gonig to finish this thing???."

1 Comments:

At Sun Aug 14, 01:23:00 PM GMT-5, Blogger no-e-plz said...

Welcome to the blog, Nate; 'nate in a blog' will someday be a Sheetz food...

I'm sure I would not be the one to say 'are you going to finish this thing' as I would not expect to be ahead of any of you...but knowing that y'all are out there supporting me in your own typical ways would be enough.

Just finished a short-ish ride in 104 degree temps with 50% humidity...someone's idea of a good idea...Needing a nap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home