Sunday, June 25, 2006

Post E-man watching plans

OK so I felt like a chump watching eagleman and came back to st louis ready to start training harder. Two weeks of travel in NYC and my foot giving me trouble again slowed me down a little but things are starting to feel good. I have decided on two definite races coming up. First up is the donut race. It is a 32 mile road race (yes, on a bike) with two mandatory rest stops. At each stop, you can eat donuts and for every donut you eat, you get a 5 minute time bonus at the end. This race is in two weeks. I was not sure I was ready to really push as my biking has been just ok but the last two weekends have changed that. Here is why.

As Jan and I went to go ride two weeks ago, we noticed her piece of junk mountain bike had been stolen. That is the bad news. The good news is that is was right next to my road bike and my mountain bike and they were both there. Stupid thief. This meant that we had to do buy a bike. We had planned on getting her a good road bike anyway but now we thought we would have to replace the mountain bike and get a road bike since we do a good bit of riding on the Katy trail which is like the c&o canal trail. Well, they convinced us at the bike shop - Maplewood Cycles (which is way better than any bike shop I have even been in to) - that we should just get a road bike and put some heavier tires on for riding the katy trail.

We found a bike that seemed perfect - the Trek Pilot. It is a road bike with a little more upright position although not really that much. It has carbon fiber in the rear triangle and the fork and the seatpost. They let her test ride it for a week (see if Capitol hill will let you do that!!) and she loved it. We have ridden a couple of 30-40 mile rides plus one yesterday with me dragging NOah around in the trailer....

I am starting to feel like a cyclist again. I have always been ready to eat donuts.

The next race will be a sprint up in illinois with the swim in lake michigan. It is not until august but I guess that is now right around the corner.

Thanks for the motivation.....

n

1 Comments:

At Wed Jun 28, 11:29:00 PM GMT-5, Blogger Meghan said...

Thanks for the update and the kudos, Nate! I'm definitely planning two ways to stay involved and motivated this summer: 1. more races (details to follow as I'm still checking things out) 2. plans to spectate for the Tour! I think that OLN may end up offering streaming on its website since they seem to have done that for the Giro d’Italia although they don’t have the option up yet to get it set up. I know I can stream the audio live from Eurosports, but that won’t be much help to me with the bigger time difference between the West Coast and France. So that’s all a work in progress! Now I know we won't be able to all get together at the crack of dawn on Saturday to make avocado, bacon and jack omelets this year, but I will be with you all in spirit!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home