Thursday, May 04, 2006

Sheesh...19mph is much faster than 16mph [duh]

So the current iteration of the 5:30 a.m. riding group has some very fast people in it and I'm not [currently] one of them. Tuesday we did intervals [30 sec on, 90 off] and I held my own. Today, we just rode, around and around, and around. My flight deck computer on the new steed is missing the magnet that tells me my speed so I hadn't a clue...I just knew I was lagging behind kdog [Kirsten Emory] and Chad [Chad] and felt really slow. That is until I asked what speed we were going...19-20 mph average. 5 laps went much faster ... when you're going faster. So maybe the trick to getting faster is to (a) not know how fast you're going and (b) ride with people who are fast. Seems pretty easy, right? My legs were burning slightly and I was putting in all the effort just to keep contact. It was nice and calm this morning [if there'd been even the slightest wind, I'd be toast] so it was just a matter of pushing a bit harder than usual.

Ran 2x this week but can't really say I went for distance or speed. Just to say "I ran 2x this week". Will be doing the Columbia brick this weekend and then a swim on Sunday morning.

Still wondering if I'm crazy for attempting to do Eagleman [we all are in our own ways, right?] but I'll be riding the course next Saturday with company and the lure of pizza [Pizza Hut] afterward will be a good way to motivate me through 56 miles and a short run afterwards.

It is very tough to keep focused on training when my man is off going to Nats games, going out for birthday parties, etc. Of course I want it all...play, train, work (well, maybe not the work thing but it pays for the play and train part of life) and travel. I will just reconcile that triathlon is merely one aspect of my very full life and it doesn't matter whether I beat xyz person in my age/weight group; it only matters that I'm pleased with my performance and I know I put everything into training and racing. Or that I did my best ... I feel as though there should be a relevent Sesame Street episode to correspond to my "triathlon" lesson.

Can't wait to see you all [those who are in time zones other than EDT]!

3 Comments:

At Thu May 04, 10:39:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Meghan said...

Hey, the best way to get faster on the bike is to actually ride faster on the bike so it sounds like a good plan to me! And pizza after the eman brick sounds fabu- just make sure you drag someone out there with you who will make you get out of the vehicle and on your bike even if it is raining sideways... ;-)

 
At Thu May 04, 11:37:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger no-e-plz said...

will do....I'm being optimistic and going to assume that it won't be raining sideways...its May now; that rain stuff happened in April.

 
At Sat May 06, 09:56:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Nate Reilly said...

I am not sure if Noeplz is saying she will be faster now that us slow people are not around to ride slow with her?? just kidding.

I wish I could focus on riding fast. My goal right now is to feel confident that I can do each of the three parts and not fall apart. I have actually been doing a lot of swimming (for me at least) but only biking 1 day a week plus a spin class. I am heading out right now for a ride.

It is great you have a group to push you right now. I think we are all headed to eagleman with goals of doing it for ourselves rather than looking at any results.

hope the eman course ride goes well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home