Monday, May 01, 2006

I'm so screwed...and out of shape

I biked the Columbia course this past weekend and did my first brick...I'm in big trouble. I did 33 miles on the bike and ran about 23 minutes [less than 3 miles] and was DONE. I don't think there's enough time for me to feel even remotely comfortable with the necessary distances for Eagleman but I will continue to try to make up the deficit! Doesn't help that I took off for 10 days during prime training time and didn't do a lick of training while I was gone -- I was on vacation, fer cryin out loud... No more trips until after Eagleman...even if it kills me. I plan to do a brick next weekend and a long swim on Sunday...then the Eagleman course ride the next weekend, then Columbia race, and more Eagleman training...might get a long ride [30 miles] and a longer run [7-8] in a brick Memorial day weekend...Its tough to juggle training and a new love [all I really want to do on the weekends is sleep late and go to breakfast at 11 a.m. -- not so good for training]. Italy and Ireland were fantastic. We had an unexpected stop over in Goose Bay Canada [small electrical fire on the plane] and we missed a day in Dublin. However, we still managed to see the important things; the Jameson tour [and tasting] and the Guinness Storehouse [again, tasting]. Had Nepalese food for the first time in Dublin and then it was off to Rome. I've never been to Italy and neither had John so it was a first for both of us. We were instantly overwhelmed but it was an amazing trip. We took a short [less than 24 hrs] side trip to Florence and puttered around there for a bit. Saw an AS Roma game [no score...disapointing] and had real Cappucino every day. The trip back was long [3 planes, 4 airports, had to claim our bags at each plane change] and this time uneventful. Here we are at the Colosseum:

We've got a bunch of the "self portrait" photos from the digital camera. I'm so happy that I invested in the little thing; best investment I've made since I bought my house. Since we've been back, I've biked 2x, swam 2x and run once. Really must get better about the running thing...its my weakest sport and I don't do myself any favors by ignoring it. Will try to motivate to run tonight even if its only intervals for 1/2 hr. Otherwise, things are good, the weather in DC is fantastic if a bit chilly. Its been dry and about 65 - 70 degrees and that's just fine by me. I'll be cleaning the house this weekend trying to get the guest room in shape for Meghan's upcoming stay. I'll be forwarding you all the hotel info so you've got it [for Eagleman] and we should figure out who's staying overnight and how many rooms we need...we've got 5 currently [Me, Nate, Chris, Meghan, Rebecca] and I'm not sure how many bodies will be occupying those beds...we'll figure it out before June 11, I hope. So, for Sesame characters, we've got Nate = Ernie [right?], Meagan = Animal, Chris = Oscar, Meghan = Cookie Monster, and Cory = Big Bird. How's that?? The t-shirts are coming together...

1 Comments:

At Wed May 03, 12:54:00 PM GMT-5, Blogger Meghan said...

So happy that you had a fabulous time in Europe, C! And it sounds like you've got a good training plan in place for these last few weeks- that's awesome!

Love the developing t-shirt idea- how about a map/Muppet combo with each character marking where we are now (like Ernie sittin' near SL)? Although I can't confirm it, I recall that Animal did indeed make a guest appearance on Sesame Street. And here's a cool website that, although it didn't answer my question, has a lot of good muppet info: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page. Gotta love the Wikipedia movement!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home