Monday, September 26, 2005

Outback Big Lick Race Report

It was TOTALLY worth the drive!! 5 hrs each way but afterward who can beat a steak and bbq chicken for post race food??

Pros: Great race support, no port-a-pots...real bathrooms and warm showers, small number of competitors (capped at 550), picturesque, rolling hills.

Cons: 5 hr drive from DC, Saturday race, recommended hotel was 45 min from race.

Stats: Oly distance (1.5 k swim, 40k bike, 10k run)
bike and run course, hilly (Smith MOUNTAIN)

Results:
swim: 37:50 T1 2:39 bike: 1:22:23 ( avg 17.78 mph) t2: 1:31 Run: 58:39 ( pace 9:45 min mi) Total: 3:03:00

Good enough to give me top Athena honors (out of a field of 7 ... I'll take it)

Went down to the race on Friday morning with Kristi, Lisa, and Dennis (Ramos)...I'll give Dennis credit for tagging along with a gaggle of women...and he's a youngster too -- caught up with Rob Sokol and Dave Mills (don't worry, you don't know them) along the way. Baring some bad directions around Lynchburg, drive was fine (but long).

Got to race site, checked in, scanned the swim (cleanest water I've been in all year), thanks to Rob's guided tour, we scoped out the transition area, learned where the tough spots were, drove the bike and run course (tricky hills) and then went off to find our hotel (45 min away...more time in the car) and then to dinner at a local Mexican restaurant (good food).

The race didn't start until 9 a.m. so we were saved the crack of dawn alarm but only slightly. Up by 6 a.m. [told everyone that I was glad they weren't Meghan...needed my extra sleep and the size of the race didn't warrent too early of a departure] to the park by 7:30 with plenty of time to set up, get timing chip and scope out the swim. By 8 a.m. the water temp was 80 degrees and not wet suit legal if you wanted points or to be eligible for awards. Made the decision that since my division was so small I might actually have a chance to place and I'd be annoyed if I'd blown it by wearing the wet suit. So I went without.

Had a Red Bull about 1/2 hr prior to getting into the water...thanks Nate for the habit I've now developed...lookin for a sponsor to get me into rehab.

There were 6 swim waves and I was in the 4th. Beach start to the swim (new for me) and the swim went well except toward the end, the shore seemed to be getting further away rather than closer...lost my concentration and started to get frustrated. But I finally made it to the beach in less time than I assumed. [37 min and change]

Would have been a faster transition (didn't have to fuss with the wet suit) but I made the grand decision to put my helmet on before I put my DC Tri Club jersey...bad mistake...finally 'dressed' and ran the bike through transition out to the 'hill' and up to where I could actually get onto the bike without falling over.

Bike course was well marked, every 5 miles, and the day was overcast and fairly cool (75 degrees??) so made for a good ride. I felt great so I just kept pushing it on the bike. I caught up to Kristi at about mile 18 and just kept hammering waiting to feel the tell tale over exertion but it never happened. I could have gone harder but I'm fine with the result.

Great bike ride and now just have to face the run. Decent transition and I felt pretty good going out so I figured I would continue to push the limit as long as I could. Ran for a while next to a very enthusiastic college competitor who just kept everyone's spirits up while she ran. Saw Dennis and Rob before they headed back into the park on the last mile (they both looked good) Ran the entire thing, walked only when drinking (its tough to to both well) and finished strong. Missed the announcer calling my name and saying I'm from Washington, North Carolina...

Hung around for the awards...no certificate or plexiglas brick...insulated lunch bag with the race logo on it...yippie!! I wanted a plack that said I'm a goddess...

Great post race food, great volunteers, great race all the way around. Couldn't have made the drive home without that Red Bull.

4 Comments:

At Mon Sep 26, 11:49:00 PM GMT-5, Blogger Meghan said...

Awesome job, Cory! Carry that 1st place Athena lunch bag with pride! How's the Big Lick t-shirt? Hope it's good as it would definitely be a good conversation starter...

 
At Tue Sep 27, 09:01:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger no-e-plz said...

Its aubergine (eggplant) long sleeve, cotton, great logo and it says "Big Lick" on it...what could be better?

 
At Tue Sep 27, 11:03:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Meagan said...

Sounds like an awesome race. Wanna do it again next year? I do. Who can resist a t-shirt that says "big lick" on it?

 
At Tue Sep 27, 11:16:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger no-e-plz said...

I'm in and next year I may just go on Fri and come back on Sun...too far of a drive to make it a turnaround event...and there's a wine festival that same weekend one town over...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home